Skip to main content

Revolving Door


At 6 am, Port of Spain is at its most romantic.
The sky casts a grey haze over the city that mixes with dust filled air, giving an illusion of a dark and stormy London Fog. The night people crawl into the dark crevices between the buildings, making way for the day people to come out.
I remember walking past the two old men in fedora hats sitting on Brian Lara Promenade, playing chess with the air of no care, with the silence of contentment and the calmness of age. As I walk by, they look up; nod a quick hello, gently touching the brim of their hats in unison, before turning back to the game at hand.
Their unchanging, singular existence fascinates me.
I pass them and move slowly across the street, taking in foggy air, now mixing with the scent of beef pies, potato pies and freshly parched Hong Wing Coffee beans. I make my way up Henry Street, both anxious and fearful of what I will see this morning. The pie man on the corner opens his basket, humming reggae under his breath. Somewhere up the street, the only Syrian vagrant in the country is shouting at a lady wearing red, asking her in an elevated yet conversational tone, “Who win de football match?”.
She picks up a speed and runs down the road with Syrian in quick pursuit. Laughing shrilly, he lifts his once white t shirt over his head and goes about his business. This is his daily routine, his revolving door of life. I pass Courts on the corner now, bracing myself for the smell I know is to come. Pee corner is well known in Port of Spain, to many pedestrians. Coming across it unexpectedly can be quite a shock, but I’ve decided it is a good addition to the city with the recent kidnappings. If you are ever blind folded and being led somewhere, if you come across a smell of pee mixed with Hong Wing and live baby chickens, you’re on Henry Street, approaching TSTT.
With eyes shut tight and nose pinned together by my finger and my thumb, I cross the smell, only daring to let my nose go when I get to the Samba bar on the other block. Breathe… With a sharp right turn, I make my way to Charlotte Street.
An uncontrollable grin escapes me.
This is where sanity hides behind a mask of madness. Excited now I sprint along, weaving my way in and out plastic containers, doubles vendors, stray dogs and stray people. I can see Roytec in the distance, my final destination.
A man is following me down the street now, shouting out, “Nut Cake, Nut Cake for Sale, Nut Cake!” I
n front Roytec now, I can see the pumpkin vendor, balancing his decidedly huge ass on a tiny wooden bench, mixing his music with a knife and a spoon, today’s choice, “no woman, no cry”.
His dexterity and rhythm have yet to be matched. He slowly looks up spotting the nuts vendor coming along.. “Nut cake, nut cake for sale!!!!!!!!!!!!.”
Pumpkin looks up, a quizzical look plays on his face and he shouts out in real wonderment…
“ Well if is not cake!!!!!! Wuh de ass is it then????”
I open the door to meet a gush of cold wind. Another day in Port of Spain begins.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello To the Rest of my Life

I slowly traced my name in the sand. Around me I could hear the waves come to life from a night of dark calmness. 7 am, reading on Sunset Beach was never a place or time I expected I’d ever be. I looked out onto the water and saw him swimming. Above him a plane painstakingly maneuvered its way to the runaway behind me. I braced myself for the sudden gush of wind that would follow its taxi. The sun streamed down on my shoulders as I sat daydreaming. I felt completely content… not a worry, not a care, not a reason to stress, perfect calm. I watched the wind blow lightly over my name etched in sand and I began thinking back over the last few days. I mapped a situation in my head that never unfolded. From the crazy little clues he kept leaving for me to the final invitation for lunch at the lighthouse, I began to imagine myself being pushed over the edge of the cliff by the swift fluid movement of his palm. Fear began to set in. The ride to Grand Revere was full of laughter and singing, wi...

Just a Little Scrunter

Even at 7 am, the streets were filled with music. It was like everyone around wanted to shout in some way that the year was almost over, soon it would be time to dust off the Christmas tree and swap the normal curtains for the special Christmas ones. The Corner of Frederick and Park had a special feeling surrounding it. Inside Excellent Plaza, you could see the decorations being hung at Emdad's , ready for the next wave of Christmas enthusiasts to come in and grapple over the price for a few glass angels and furry lint covered santas . I love the smell that some from Charlotte Street during December. A smooth, fresh mix of rum, cigarette smoke, roast pork, pastelles and puncha creme wafts through the air and around the corners of each street it intertwines with, making shoppers dizzy and slightly crazy. I remember times I would walk along Brian Lara Promenade, from Royal Bank to Roytec , the sound of parang coming from Excellent City Centre ( de bigger one before it burnt d...
Nothing gives me pleasure more than stealing books. Whether i take them from a library or an individual, the thrill is the same. And if someone is willing to actually lend me a book with the expectation i will return it when i am done, the thrill increases tremendously. When I was around 5 my mom seemed to catch on to this. After theffin about five of my aunt's Miles and Boon from de cardboard box under the step by aunty Mels , and trying real hard to sniff out the bookworms, and finally attempting to chew the pages, my mom bought me my first set of real books to devour on my own. It is a beautiful set of Sesame Street Encyclopedias! Complete with a run through every country by Oscar and Telly Monster soap operas.. i was in love. She followed this with a set of Junior Britannica Encyclopedias and a junior scrabble. I wonder what she was pullin , because i was outside making mud cakes with baby powder icing to feed Ren and Mimi, under the two table horse covered by ah curtain ...