Skip to main content

One Art


Roti for me means Dogtanian the lonely musketeer.
Everytime my sister and I smell roti, we look at each other and say, “ aye aye what u thinking, dogtanian ent!” Don’t laugh at de south people, we from south.
It was all my grandmother’s fault. From 3 pm every afternoon, the race would begin. Who would get home from school first, who would open the syrotex box of food she sent, who would get to sit directly in front the television and who roti had de biggest curry wing and neck with sauce leaking out.
My sis and I had a world of our own. It began with a life of incessant torment and has become one of increasing torture.
For my sister that is.
My first memory of her was the day she was born. My dad and I packed up and went to Victoria Nursing Home to meet the child. I saw my mom lying on a bed, I looked around for Jello.. Found it eat it and waited to be pampered. I was by far the cutest kid on the planet and without a doubt the reason my parents lived.
“ You know you are a big sister now.”
I look at my dad, “ who she talking too?”
“You”
“Where de boy, mommy”
“Is not ah boy babe is a girl”
“ Ah what”
“Girl”
“Well give her back.”

From the onset my sister was in for it. At four years old, my long life was being disrupted by a little runt ready to win everybody’s heart over.

Eh heh, ah go do fuh she.

With the conniving calculation of a secret agent and the balls of a feminist catholic, I devised a plan to make her life miserable.

First mode of action: The Disappearing Diaper.

Now this plan was carefully formulated. I would wait until my dad went to prayer (yes yes we muslim, dey does prayer whole dam day! Ooppss..)
I snuck under the crib, listening to Ren ( the child’s name) singing la la la la la my bomsie up above me. Her pampered bottom stuck out through the bars of the crib. Slowly I began pulling the cotton out of it. After about 15 minutes all the cotton was under the crib being stuff into a brown paper bag. She sat quietly smiling down at me and I smiled right back up at her angelic wittle wace.

“kerry”
“yes daddy”
“what happen to Ricardo pampers”
“ look I dunno man”
“ who u callin man!”
“ is u! ent u isa man daddy?”
“ u want milo?”

End of fight.

Then came the brilliant idea to fluff up Ren.

Mode of Action: Dryer flyer Ren

My grandmother had a back room with one million dryers and washers. I think she did laundry for de whole ah Siparia. But she had 8 horse fuh children so she cud getaway with it. As grand children we spent a lot of time UpDeHill, (name of grandparents home cuz it was up ah hill).

One afternoon, after my great grand dad walked Michelle, (the watch Kerrie fall of bar cousin) and i home from Miss Brown nursery school, I was baby sitting Ren in her crib. Which was basically throwing her little black penguin at her and waiting for her to yell. It never happened.

Then a brilliant upon brilliant thought filled me. Let’s see her fluff!
So I took her up and put her into the first dryer, closed the door and was about to start it..
“ What blasted nonsense is this”
“Nothing pappy.”
“ I will buss yuh tail, go and geta whip now!”
Fear set in.
He grabs Ren from the dryer and looks at her. She smiles and looks at me.
Lix fuh sooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Something like four hundred years pass. I will skip the million methods of torture during those years because lord!
I torture her in different ways now. Making 12 boiled eggs for her to eat when she has to take her medication. Opening her presents from her friends and using stuff and putting them back. Stealing her books and her makeup ( not jewelry eh! Dais yuh cousins!) Pinching her boobs, jumping on her bed and messing up her dressing table.

You never know how great your life is, until you have the love of a sister. And I can say, you will never know how to love, unless you had mine.

Hard luck dey!

Comments

oh gosh yuh have meh in stitches with this one yes. poor renilou - i like the "look i dunno man" and "what blasted nonsense is this" - HAHA
Unknown said…
sound just like him ent! dais all pappy used to tell me and " what shit is this!"
Just Jojo said…
in all the years i've known ren, it's only now ah start to feel sorry fuh she. the dryer??? kerrie!
and i agree with sera: "look i dunno man" = lmao to the trillionth power!

Popular posts from this blog

Hello To the Rest of my Life

I slowly traced my name in the sand. Around me I could hear the waves come to life from a night of dark calmness. 7 am, reading on Sunset Beach was never a place or time I expected I’d ever be. I looked out onto the water and saw him swimming. Above him a plane painstakingly maneuvered its way to the runaway behind me. I braced myself for the sudden gush of wind that would follow its taxi. The sun streamed down on my shoulders as I sat daydreaming. I felt completely content… not a worry, not a care, not a reason to stress, perfect calm. I watched the wind blow lightly over my name etched in sand and I began thinking back over the last few days. I mapped a situation in my head that never unfolded. From the crazy little clues he kept leaving for me to the final invitation for lunch at the lighthouse, I began to imagine myself being pushed over the edge of the cliff by the swift fluid movement of his palm. Fear began to set in. The ride to Grand Revere was full of laughter and singing, wi...

Just a Little Scrunter

Even at 7 am, the streets were filled with music. It was like everyone around wanted to shout in some way that the year was almost over, soon it would be time to dust off the Christmas tree and swap the normal curtains for the special Christmas ones. The Corner of Frederick and Park had a special feeling surrounding it. Inside Excellent Plaza, you could see the decorations being hung at Emdad's , ready for the next wave of Christmas enthusiasts to come in and grapple over the price for a few glass angels and furry lint covered santas . I love the smell that some from Charlotte Street during December. A smooth, fresh mix of rum, cigarette smoke, roast pork, pastelles and puncha creme wafts through the air and around the corners of each street it intertwines with, making shoppers dizzy and slightly crazy. I remember times I would walk along Brian Lara Promenade, from Royal Bank to Roytec , the sound of parang coming from Excellent City Centre ( de bigger one before it burnt d...
Nothing gives me pleasure more than stealing books. Whether i take them from a library or an individual, the thrill is the same. And if someone is willing to actually lend me a book with the expectation i will return it when i am done, the thrill increases tremendously. When I was around 5 my mom seemed to catch on to this. After theffin about five of my aunt's Miles and Boon from de cardboard box under the step by aunty Mels , and trying real hard to sniff out the bookworms, and finally attempting to chew the pages, my mom bought me my first set of real books to devour on my own. It is a beautiful set of Sesame Street Encyclopedias! Complete with a run through every country by Oscar and Telly Monster soap operas.. i was in love. She followed this with a set of Junior Britannica Encyclopedias and a junior scrabble. I wonder what she was pullin , because i was outside making mud cakes with baby powder icing to feed Ren and Mimi, under the two table horse covered by ah curtain ...