Skip to main content

When the familiar becomes an enigma

Now carnival just done, but while it was happening, Trinidad became the land of the "oh god! I cyah take it! I cyaahh take it! i love meh land! oh lord oh loorddddd!" , people.
I myself try to stay away from the callaloo of mad people charging through Port of Spain, knocking over garbage, fall into garbage, eating garbage and thefin garbage.
But the enticement to be a part of it runs deep in your soul. Sitting at home, spread out on de couch, waiting for de red beans and rice and stew chicken to done cook, gives you one of two feelings: The choking feeling of being hit in your stomach because you are not a apart of something that everyone else is or the feeling of safety that you are home waiting for rice and red beans and stew chicken, while everyone else jumping up in de hot sun, with greasy doubles and early morning shark and bake, not sure exactly where to pee or if to pee.
Ah yes.. Trinidad, the land of two peoples: de carnival people and de not so carnival people.
Carnival Monday i decided i would stay home and wait for de red beans. I figured de real bacchanal was Carnival Tuesday, so it would be the better day to shower and head to Port of Spain. After a quiet, relaxing morning in front the TV watching Synergy and critiquing the brave souls who ventured to play jourvert in their house dresses, i got a call to pick up a friend in St James. Peeved would be an understatement for the feeling that washed over my pajama clad body. But the call could not be ignored. After, pulling together a posse of one, a 5 foot, hot chick called nirisa as back up, we headed into to Port of Spain, expecting to whiz through the empty streets and fly up St James and collect the package in less than half hour.
With this plan in mind, Project "Collect Drunk Boy" began. (Due to possible grievous harm, his name shall not be mentioned.. yet)


So we started our journey.

We got to Powergen on Tragarite Road and turned up..blocked.

We turned around and went up Carlos Street.. Blocked and One Way

We got to Edward Street near the Police Head Quarters.

“ u hata cry and say how we lost,” says Nirisa

Approaching the lone gunman ( he was dressed in black with a condom on his head and therefore cannot be tagged a policeman), we rolled down the window..oh sorry excuse me.. we pressed the button and watched the window sliiide down. The condom gunman looks in our direction, takes in Nirisa’s short skirt and tiny vest and begins dribbling.

“Aye, am sir, mr police sir, you cud tell us how to get to St James..”

I close my eyes and shake my head at the sentence that came out my mouth… who de ass duh no how to get to st james dred.

Bending into the car, condom gunman says

“ u hata go down st vincent and turn onto tragarite..”

“oho”

we proceed.

Next ting yuh know, 2000 masqueraders come pelting down de street right towards de car! Oh god! Oh God! Wat to dooooooooo!

Driving up down streets and across up streets, we zig zag in and out of port of spain fuh ah hour. With no gas equalling no a/c. we started to smell like mucurapo street in sando (dais another story). Every condom man we meet leads us smack into a wildly drunk, excited horny masqueraders.

We get the live. close up show with ah wide screen view.

Finally, we find our way to st james.. picked up the package and head home..

A typical Carnival Monday over once again.

Comments

Unknown said…
My sympathies go out to you and at times like those, ah go talk to the package for yuh.
Glad to be the first comment
kyle anthony said…
hahahahhahahaha I LUV IT
Anonymous said…
i loved this line

"Ah yes.. Trinidad, the land of two peoples: de carnival people and de not so carnival people."

Of course you know which group i belong to!
Unknown said…
err...i shame to say i know alyuh (even if yuh is familia)...cyah find st james...even worse..

Popular posts from this blog

Hello To the Rest of my Life

I slowly traced my name in the sand. Around me I could hear the waves come to life from a night of dark calmness. 7 am, reading on Sunset Beach was never a place or time I expected I’d ever be. I looked out onto the water and saw him swimming. Above him a plane painstakingly maneuvered its way to the runaway behind me. I braced myself for the sudden gush of wind that would follow its taxi. The sun streamed down on my shoulders as I sat daydreaming. I felt completely content… not a worry, not a care, not a reason to stress, perfect calm. I watched the wind blow lightly over my name etched in sand and I began thinking back over the last few days. I mapped a situation in my head that never unfolded. From the crazy little clues he kept leaving for me to the final invitation for lunch at the lighthouse, I began to imagine myself being pushed over the edge of the cliff by the swift fluid movement of his palm. Fear began to set in. The ride to Grand Revere was full of laughter and singing, wi...

Just a Little Scrunter

Even at 7 am, the streets were filled with music. It was like everyone around wanted to shout in some way that the year was almost over, soon it would be time to dust off the Christmas tree and swap the normal curtains for the special Christmas ones. The Corner of Frederick and Park had a special feeling surrounding it. Inside Excellent Plaza, you could see the decorations being hung at Emdad's , ready for the next wave of Christmas enthusiasts to come in and grapple over the price for a few glass angels and furry lint covered santas . I love the smell that some from Charlotte Street during December. A smooth, fresh mix of rum, cigarette smoke, roast pork, pastelles and puncha creme wafts through the air and around the corners of each street it intertwines with, making shoppers dizzy and slightly crazy. I remember times I would walk along Brian Lara Promenade, from Royal Bank to Roytec , the sound of parang coming from Excellent City Centre ( de bigger one before it burnt d...
Nothing gives me pleasure more than stealing books. Whether i take them from a library or an individual, the thrill is the same. And if someone is willing to actually lend me a book with the expectation i will return it when i am done, the thrill increases tremendously. When I was around 5 my mom seemed to catch on to this. After theffin about five of my aunt's Miles and Boon from de cardboard box under the step by aunty Mels , and trying real hard to sniff out the bookworms, and finally attempting to chew the pages, my mom bought me my first set of real books to devour on my own. It is a beautiful set of Sesame Street Encyclopedias! Complete with a run through every country by Oscar and Telly Monster soap operas.. i was in love. She followed this with a set of Junior Britannica Encyclopedias and a junior scrabble. I wonder what she was pullin , because i was outside making mud cakes with baby powder icing to feed Ren and Mimi, under the two table horse covered by ah curtain ...