I have yet to fall in love with Sydney. I can say all the nice things, starting with the better standard of living and the great quality of life Australians are exposed too. I can talk about the fantastic feeling of being able to get up on a Sunday morning and walk a few steps to have breakfast at a cafe with the quaint atmosphere of local contentment and tranquility. I can go on and on about the exposure to art and entertainment so lacking on our shores. I can even drown myself and you with constant exclamations of the great fashion and style.
Yet there is no pitter-patter of my heart, except for the person lying next to me. I am waiting for this life to be filled. Filled with a thousand hearts marching for the rights of others. Filled with small fleeting moments of compassion. Filled with purpose beyond money, fame, and a brand name.
I'd give anything to sniff the Hong Wing filled air of Port of Spain. To walk up charlotte Street on Christmas Eve and attack a woman for her 2 inch plastic Christmas Tree. I miss the vagrant on the corner of Oxford Street and Henry Street, peeing on the pavement every morning before she walks to her vending spot. I want to drive up to the Coconut man by de big tree in Palmiste and shout for ah 2 litre bottle with all de jelly. I want to order Char Lee Chinee food and ask for curry chicken and fried rice.
I want a piece of home in my back pocket everyday, so I can take it out look at it and put it right back there safely.
Yes yes I want to rage. Rage against a life of obscurity. Rage for my life. The one I had and the one that is still to come.
Comments