Even at 7 am, the streets were filled with music. It was like everyone around wanted to shout in some way that the year was almost over, soon it would be time to dust off the Christmas tree and swap the normal curtains for the special Christmas ones. The Corner of Frederick and Park had a special feeling surrounding it. Inside Excellent Plaza, you could see the decorations being hung at Emdad's, ready for the next wave of Christmas enthusiasts to come in and grapple over the price for a few glass angels and furry lint covered santas.
I love the smell that some from Charlotte Street during December. A smooth, fresh mix of rum, cigarette smoke, roast pork, pastelles and puncha creme wafts through the air and around the corners of each street it intertwines with, making shoppers dizzy and slightly crazy.
I remember times I would walk along Brian Lara Promenade, from Royal Bank to Roytec, the sound of parang coming from Excellent City Centre ( de bigger one before it burnt down), the sweet smell of cotton candy and incense, the vendors just a little more animated, people smiling just a little wider, suits just a little more pressed, women dressed just a little more festive, reds, greens, gold...everywhere.
In every store you entered, a warm, loving feeling came over you, whether it was an illusion created to get you to shop more or a secret society only true trinis belonged to just for Christmas I never knew. But everything was just that little bit more.
When the evening creeps up and the night people come out earlier than usual, bringing with them their quatros, straw hats and voices, it is easy to get lost in the magic they create without much effort.
When Christmas comes to Trinidad, every thing, down to the trees light up with every very verse of of Scrunter... Anita...
When Christmas comes to Trinidad, I loose my heart just a little.
I love the smell that some from Charlotte Street during December. A smooth, fresh mix of rum, cigarette smoke, roast pork, pastelles and puncha creme wafts through the air and around the corners of each street it intertwines with, making shoppers dizzy and slightly crazy.
I remember times I would walk along Brian Lara Promenade, from Royal Bank to Roytec, the sound of parang coming from Excellent City Centre ( de bigger one before it burnt down), the sweet smell of cotton candy and incense, the vendors just a little more animated, people smiling just a little wider, suits just a little more pressed, women dressed just a little more festive, reds, greens, gold...everywhere.
In every store you entered, a warm, loving feeling came over you, whether it was an illusion created to get you to shop more or a secret society only true trinis belonged to just for Christmas I never knew. But everything was just that little bit more.
When the evening creeps up and the night people come out earlier than usual, bringing with them their quatros, straw hats and voices, it is easy to get lost in the magic they create without much effort.
When Christmas comes to Trinidad, every thing, down to the trees light up with every very verse of of Scrunter... Anita...
When Christmas comes to Trinidad, I loose my heart just a little.
Comments
Makeda :)