Skip to main content

Where the road meets the beach


I could never describe the feeling of being there, even to myself. I can close my eyes and see everything in the most vivid of colours, hear the sounds of the sea, smell the fresh fish and wet sand, maybe even reach out and touch the trunk of a coconut tree as if it were right next to me. But then I open my eyes and it all goes away.

I must have said it a million times I know, but whenever I think of home I think of Speyside. Whenever I get that horrible sinking feeling like I am choking, it always goes away when I imagine myself standing on the spot where the road meets the beach, staring out over the lazily crashing waves onto Little Tobago. The happiest of times, the calmest of times, the time when everything finally made sense to me, was in that single moment.

I can crawl deep into the spaces of my memory and drag out scenes from my childhood, when we would take family vacations and my sister and I would kick and scream every time my dad said we had to leave the pool and join them in journeying to Plymoth and Charlotteville for the day. We would cry and stamp and refuse to even look out the window until we got bribed with chock ice. I remember vaguely looking up as he pointed out Little Tobago, driving past the very spot I stood 17 years later. I remember walking across the unmarked grave of the woman in Plymoth, reading the inscription and thinking "eh?"

I remember drives to Charlotteville to get gas, the hot sun stinging down on my back and sighing heavily in the hopes they would realise we just wanted to do a flip back into the pool. They were memories that came back with blunt force and recharged themselves with vigor and I could only smile.

Now these memories are mixed with new ones. Of waking up next to the love of my life, listening to the waves lapping against the shore. Of driving to Charlotteville and taking pictures on the beach and having a dinner of the best fried chicken and chips and pepper sauce I ever tasted. Of taking him up to Plymoth and calming explaining the story of the unmarked grave to him, while he looked like me with a face of "eh?"

Of taking the glass bottom boat to Little Tobago, turning green ( that didn't change! ) and then hiking the unexpected 4 million steps to the top only to see the most amazing house of broken down wood and view of Tobago.

It will be a feeling I will never be able to describe fully. The one that comes to you only in glints, with a sudden gigantic thump of your heart, when you can't quite explain why you are happy.

This is where I go in my mind now, when I miss home, when I miss my dad, when I miss my husband, this is where I go, to the place where the road meets the beach and the wind takes my hair up and my eyes see nothing but an island in the distance. Home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello To the Rest of my Life

I slowly traced my name in the sand. Around me I could hear the waves come to life from a night of dark calmness. 7 am, reading on Sunset Beach was never a place or time I expected I’d ever be. I looked out onto the water and saw him swimming. Above him a plane painstakingly maneuvered its way to the runaway behind me. I braced myself for the sudden gush of wind that would follow its taxi. The sun streamed down on my shoulders as I sat daydreaming. I felt completely content… not a worry, not a care, not a reason to stress, perfect calm. I watched the wind blow lightly over my name etched in sand and I began thinking back over the last few days. I mapped a situation in my head that never unfolded. From the crazy little clues he kept leaving for me to the final invitation for lunch at the lighthouse, I began to imagine myself being pushed over the edge of the cliff by the swift fluid movement of his palm. Fear began to set in. The ride to Grand Revere was full of laughter and singing, wi...

Just a Little Scrunter

Even at 7 am, the streets were filled with music. It was like everyone around wanted to shout in some way that the year was almost over, soon it would be time to dust off the Christmas tree and swap the normal curtains for the special Christmas ones. The Corner of Frederick and Park had a special feeling surrounding it. Inside Excellent Plaza, you could see the decorations being hung at Emdad's , ready for the next wave of Christmas enthusiasts to come in and grapple over the price for a few glass angels and furry lint covered santas . I love the smell that some from Charlotte Street during December. A smooth, fresh mix of rum, cigarette smoke, roast pork, pastelles and puncha creme wafts through the air and around the corners of each street it intertwines with, making shoppers dizzy and slightly crazy. I remember times I would walk along Brian Lara Promenade, from Royal Bank to Roytec , the sound of parang coming from Excellent City Centre ( de bigger one before it burnt d...
Nothing gives me pleasure more than stealing books. Whether i take them from a library or an individual, the thrill is the same. And if someone is willing to actually lend me a book with the expectation i will return it when i am done, the thrill increases tremendously. When I was around 5 my mom seemed to catch on to this. After theffin about five of my aunt's Miles and Boon from de cardboard box under the step by aunty Mels , and trying real hard to sniff out the bookworms, and finally attempting to chew the pages, my mom bought me my first set of real books to devour on my own. It is a beautiful set of Sesame Street Encyclopedias! Complete with a run through every country by Oscar and Telly Monster soap operas.. i was in love. She followed this with a set of Junior Britannica Encyclopedias and a junior scrabble. I wonder what she was pullin , because i was outside making mud cakes with baby powder icing to feed Ren and Mimi, under the two table horse covered by ah curtain ...